Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cast A Deadly Spell

9 of 10 citizens "Liked" "Cast A Deadly Spell" (1991, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Lord Battle - "Imagine "Chinatown" but the main character is H.P. Lovecraft and he's traveling through a Shadowrun campaign minus the cyberware. This film is a lost treasure that succeeds at both being an interesting adult mystery and a campy adventure story filled with awesome special effects." - 5 Stars

The Berkeley Blazer - "A superb noir whose originality lies in having it's tongue and cheek magic-infused noir world never turn and wink at the camera." - 4 Stars

Johnny Ocelot - "Noir, magic, macabre,  Lovecraft, come on! Like I'm not gonna love this one. Unlike Hastur this is one you can talk about." - 4 Stars

Drumachine - ""Dead Alive" meets "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"." - 3 Stars

Book Wyrm - "A charming mix of magic and modern life, "Cast A Deadly Spell" kept my interest throughout." - 4 Stars

Bug - "I feel that this movie was actually very well done. I enjoyed the whole detective theme, definitely could be one of my favorites." - 4 Stars

Math Mage - "I wish that the "Call of Cthulhu" games I've played had been half as good as this movie." - 4 Stars

Huntress - "I loved the idea of a quick-witted detective movie with the magical realm detail just hanging out in the back round." - 5 Stars

The Great Hornito - "This movie had a really strong cast and wasn't a bad noir movie. I really just hate noir's." - 2 1/2 Stars

The Dungeon Master - No Comment - 4 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
I ended up screening this film 3 separate times, I just had to make sure most of the citizens were about to see it. The film is just executed perfectly, it walks such a fine line between serious noir and campy horror that I just can't stop praising it. In fact it's so good and so hard to find that I'm going to recommend heading to Youtube and watching the whole film before they remove it. If you end up watching it I'd love to hear what you think, so please come back and share your thoughts.
I think I'm going to start reviewing more obscure films like this one, I mean everyone should know about this movie and why review a film if not to generate conversation about it.
The image I used for the review poster is actually from a shirt design, you can find it at Rotten Cotten's web site and if you end up checking it out take a couple minutes and look around the site, it is filled with awesome stuff.

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment