Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lovely Molly and a Very Scary Coincidence..?

7 of 8 viewers "Liked" "Lovely Molly" (USA, 2011)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

The Impostor - ""Lovely Molly" is a creepy old fashioned horror film. Builds mystery nicely yet still spooky and scary, a must watch." - 4 Stars

Lord Battle - "A modern "Repulsion", mixed with even darker themes." - 4 1/2 Stars

Huntress - "A beautifully shot, perfectly paced descent into isolation; this movie worked in a nice touch of found footage." - 5 Stars

The Berkeley Blazer - "An ideal horror film should, at least for it's duration, make you believe in the eldritch, dread agency of the darkness. Most films fail at this endeavor. This does not." - 4 Stars

Math Mage - "Is she mad, haunted or just high on drugs? I don't care." - 2 Stars

Bug - "There was so many great moments in this movie, I really enjoyed it!" - 3 1/2 Stars

Ice Giant - "Really shows how messed up and dark the human mind can be." - 4 Stars

The Great Hornito - "A truly haunting film. I didn't know if this was a decent into madness or a haunting. I love this kind of genre film." - 4 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
While screening very tense films I've started to notice that people get extra quiet, as if scared to make a sound, like it would draw the attention from the characters in the film. This may seem commonplace but some viewers (reviewers) seem impervious, like no film is sacred and all tension shall be defused by lame comments, but not "Lovely Molly". I'll admit it wasn't completely silent and we even ended up pausing it 3 times (I really hate stopping a film) but Molly's "descent into isolation" (perfectly worded by Huntress) is so captivating that it easily survived being paused and almost completely muted chatty reviewers.
I honestly can't think of a better way to complement a film then to express it's command over an audience (another film so suspenseful it commanded a chatty crowd is "The Marked Ones").
The main themes in this film are pretty obvious and even though I'd love to discus the idea behind the horse motif, I think that's better suited for Facebook or the comments section but I do have something interesting to say...
We have to go back a year to October 10th, the day this film came into my life (I remember the date because the film takes place around the same time October). The Great Hornito, Huntress, and I were narrowing down which stupid horror film we should watch on Netflix when Huntress and I noticed Johnny Lewis's name among the cast of "Lovely Molly". This stood out to us because we are fans of Sons of Anarchy and Johnny Lewis plays a character named Half Sack.
Who cares, right? Well to skip ahead we loved the film and were totally caught of guard by how awesome it was, especially considering we put it on for laughs. Skip to the next day and we reach the point of this story.
The Great Hornito loving the film as he did went online that night and looked up the actor that lead us to the film. I couldn't believe what he found.

"Johnny Lewis dead at 28: Sons of Anarchy actor killed elderly landlady and dismembered her cat before plummeting off roof, sources say."

That's the headline of the Nydailynews article that elaborates on this terrifying story.
 The facts about what Johnny Lewis did are horrifying and totally crazy and seems to fit all to well with this films story. Especially because no one knows why he did any of this and really it could have been any number of things. The article says they think it was a new drug he took (in the vein of Bath Salts) that caused his strange behavior but this later article from Dailymail says his postmortem tests were negative. Then there's the whole thing about his dad being a high up in Scientology, a group a lot of people refer to  as a cult and yet another link to the film?
I'd continue with this connection but I'm starting to feel it's in bad taste, so let me finish by saying I was incredibly creeped out when looking up these articles just now. As last year I didn't notice something, I'll highlight it for you.

Not once in the article do they mention "Lovely Molly" but they happen to head the post with this photo. I feel it necessary to say that I love the pin he is wearing and would love one for my jacket but the fact that the symbol appears in one of his last photos deeply creeps me out. If the symbol wasn't all over the Blu Ray menu and cover I may have missed this again but now that I've noticed it I just had to share.
On a lighter note...
The trailer above is one of the best I've ever linked, it shows enough but doesn't give anything away. It just goes to show I should put some effort into looking for good trailers since apparently some exist.
-Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment