Sunday, December 15, 2013

Willow Creek or the Film that made Bigfoot Scary

5 of 5 viewers "Liked" "Willow Creek" (2013, USA)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

The Great Hornito - "One of the best found footage I've seen this year. It was really scary and the tension was really thick. The characters are very likable and the pacing was perfect. Felt a lot like the "Blair Witch" but it still kept it's originality." - 4 1/2 Stars

Huntress - "Impossibly tense with minimal effects. Charismatic characters who make the build up as enjoyable as the payoff." - 4 Stars

Lord Battle - "I just cant get enough found footage and Bobcat proves the genre still has more to offer. Damn, I couldn't believe Bigfoot could actually be scary. And I mean really scary." - 4 1/2 Stars

The Impostor - "Very simple yet effective, "Willow Creek" is a fun addition to the found footage horror genre." - 4 Stars

Ice Giant - "Normally scenes that linger that long would annoy me but it really built the suspense and made a great movie." - 4 Stars



The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
The reviewers and I headed out to the Historic Balboa Theater to see this (supposedly) very scary new found footage film from none other than Bobcat Goldthwait. Bobcat was actually going to be presenting his film at the Another Hole in the Head Film Festival but sadly could not make it. Instead we got a few words from the angry man in the middle of the woods, which for the most part was pretty cool, just not as informative as I imagine Bobcat would have been.

Before I get into the movie, I have to start by saying how much I really love the movie poster. I have honestly day dreamed about the terror that is about to befall the two little people unknowingly walking under the Bigfoot skull monster. I guess the poster just properly portrays the tension you can expect from this film. And damn it gets tense. In fact, it gets so suspenseful that I'd compare it to the film "Evil Things" (another suspenseful found footage film brought to my attention by Freddy in Space).

The film finished in what seemed like no time and I mean that in a good way as it was not short. I think we were all impressed and just wanted to discuss what we had witnessed. "Willow Creek" in a word is suspenseful (as mentioned above) and feels like something bad could happen at any moment and it doesn't let up when they finally head into the woods. Also this film is very open to interpretation as the Bigfoot is pretty elusive (not to say you won't see him... or will you?); he definitely channels his friend the Blair Witch. There is one scene which shows our main characters during their first night in the woods. This scene is one of the most realistic I've ever seen. In fact it's so important that it feels like most of the movie when you think back on it. The main reason for this is Bobcat's use of 1 long single shot, which is so damn suspenseful you won't know what to do with yourself.

 I really hope that Bobcat returns to horror; I'd definitely see another of his films. And as for "Willow Creek", it fully deserves it's rating of 4 1/2, which I might adds is hard to get from these picky bastards I call the citizens of the Overlook Theatre.
- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment