Monday, April 13, 2015

Fear Clinic, The Negative Space Of

0 of 6 viewers "Liked" "Fear Clinic" (USA, 2015)
Here's what the citizens of the Overlook Theatre had to say:

Lord Battle - "The worst kind of horror is boring horror and Fear Clinic is aggressively boring." - 1.5 Stars

KillDozer - "So bad it's awful, and not in a good way. Very confusing and not even riffing with a group or the almighty Robert Englund save this film. *Spoiler* The one star is for Robert Englund mangina (no i'm not kidding)." - 1 Star

Huntress - "If you can make it through the anticlimactic build up for the first half of the movie, you'll be rewarded with a disjointed mess of an ending that you can't be ready for, not because it's super original or shocking but because it's kind of terrible. Most of the acting wasn't bad but it could only carry the movie so far. Part of the way through the movie I was convinced Corey Taylor funded the whole thing to make sure it was a love letter to SlipKnot." - 2 Stars

Math Mage - "Waste of a 100 minutes, filled with unlikable characters, weak gore, jump "scares", and annoying lighting. Predictable, boring, hilariously pretentious, have I mentioned boring? I need more diverse negative adjectives to fully encompass my disdain for this film but I don't care about it enough to try any harder than this: vapid and monotonous." - 1 Star

The Impostor - "Fear Clinic is a mediocre horror film. I really only watched for my favorite horror icon Robert Englund. I have never seen the original Web series so was not sure what to expect. I went in with an open mind and tried to take the film for what it was but unfortunately I was left confused and bored." - 2 Stars

Ice Giant - Fell Asleep - 2 Stars




The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*

It really isn't hard to spot a film that is purely marketing itself on the star or stars it has to offer, this goes for all genres. Horror is right up there with Action films as far as repeat offenders is concerned. I chose the standard poster/cover art used for Fear Clinic rather than something more interesting like I normally do so I could make a point. The first thing you read is Robert Englund, this typically is a bad sign, then add that to the fact the poster is mostly negative white space and this just screams "Terrible film inside." 
Now, Robert's name appearing first is pretty obvious; they are advertising the one selling point they really have and it's a good one. I know several people who not only watched, but purchased the film based on that simple fact. I myself bought the film because I saw how cheap the pre-order from Best Buy was ($11.99 I think) and it came signed by Corey Taylor (I have a hard time passing up signed merch) singer of Slipknot and various other alt/nu-metal bands.
The negative space on the cover is a bad sign for a couple of reasons, first this space would normally be filled with laurels won at film festivals or glowing blurbs written by reliable sources (like the Overlook), but if neither are present it may be because the film never hit festivals for fear of negative reviews or no one has said anything positive enough worth sharing. I add that people really love the minimalist look lately and these rules don't apply to minimalist covers.
I'd really like to have something constructive to say about Fear Clinic but for a film based on a web series, they made no mention of the FearNet project on the packaging, except to mention it's based on it, which is strange since everyone who was the screening felt completely lost throughout the whole film. I had seen 2 of the webisodes a long time ago when they were originally posted and I have a distant memory of this show but remembered liking it much more than I did this film. It also felt like this film was a continuation of the web series, which would warrant at least a suggestion to view the series first. 
Fear Clinic is ultimately a boring film that features an awkward nude scene and terrible acting by Corey Taylor.

- Lord Battle

*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment