Saturday, October 10, 2015

One of the Reasons I Love October: Movies!

October is turning out to be a great time to go to the movies! We're one third of the way through the month and we've already seen several things that we're been waiting weeks, months, and even years to see. And the month is nowhere near over.


I was pretty bummed when I couldn't find a theater near me that was playing Eli Roth's Knock Knock, but in looking for that I came across one theater that was playing The Final Girls, which was not listed on the movie's web site. We were already preparing ourselves for an hour and a half drive when AMC Van Ness saved us!



"A young woman grieving the loss of her mother, a famous scream queen from the 1980's, finds herself pulled into the world of her mom's most famous movie. Reunited, the women must fight off the film's maniacal killer."
This movie was great! There was more comedy than we expected but that's not a bad thing. Actually, I knew very little about this at all, so almost everything about it was a surprise to me. It had a great cast, spot on character archetypes, and some really funny parodies. Highly recommended!

Also coming out this month, next week
Crimson Peak 

I've been trying to ignore all the commercials for this but that's nearly impossible. This will have a wide release and we should all have no problem finding a theater screening it. 

This release is immediately followed by another one the next Friday, but from what I've been hearing, almost no one is anticipating it.
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost  Dimension

I know we'll see it, and the theater will probably be pretty full, but there is so much hate surrounding this series that I feel like people mainly see it to be angry that they did. Again, this will have a huge release, I'm sure. So we'll all be able to enjoy...

There are also a lot of bay area specific films being screened at a couple of our favorite theaters. First, the Balboa Theatre will be screening these oldies but goodies:

Planet of the Vampires
10/21 at 7:30

The Legend of Hell House
10/28 at 7:30

Both of these will be first time watches for me, but judging taglines and posters, I'm going to be happy. The Balboa has an endless line of great movies coming to their twin screens this month so check out their site. 

The Castro Theatre is also in on the horror fun this great October! This month's Midnites for Maniacs double feature will be
Scream


Wes Craven's New Nightmare

This will be happening the day before Halloween and sounds like a great way to ring in my favorite holiday. The first screening starts at 7:20, and don't be late! 

I already have several titles I need to look into, so I'll probably have some more titles for you guys soon. Now, let's all go to the lobby and get ourselves a snack!
-Huntress

No comments:

Post a Comment