Saturday, March 26, 2016

Creepy PastaMania!

















Welcome back Pasta lovers! This week I did a bit of digging through the Creepy Pasta categories and was intrigued by several of them, like Artifacts/Objects or Murders & Deaths. But the one that I decided to look further into was Locations and Sites because, while it is a specific category, it is still very broad. From there I just gravitated to one of the more cryptic titles. Let's see what we ended up with.


Are You Coming Upstairs?

Author: Jess (Private profile)

Genre: Locations & Sites

Reading Time: 16 Minutes 20 seconds

Synopsis: You don't fear as much in childhood. Until you have a reason to...

Creepiness
(How Scary)

Pasta Quality
(How Well Written)


This is one of the longest pastas I've read, and I'm very thankful that it was so well-written or it would have been a rough 17 minutes. There is a lot of set up in this story and I found myself in a very unhelpful mind set, defending the non-horror set up against what I expected the comments to say about it. Just because the story is on a horror story forum, and we all know it's going to turn in that direction eventually, doesn't mean there can't be more substance to it. My defense ended up being very unnecessary, because that complaint was nowhere in the comments, which both surprised me and didn't. The descriptions are so detailed and adjectives so colorful that I questioned whether this was a house that the writer had actually visited before and maybe even experienced the horrors of childhood imagination in the dark. She gave this whole world so much texture and life, I don't think anyone could complain about reading it. 
There was one suggestion that the writer remove the mention of the apples in Evangeline's bag and let the wicked look in her eye do the talking instead, but I would argue a little bit of the opposite. If she had the apples in her bag but an innocent look on her face, that would leave the story in a more ambiguous place that is still incredibly unsettling. 


-Huntress

No comments:

Post a Comment