Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Treasures From the ComiCombs: Top 5 of 2016 (So Far)


Today we see the 5th and final Wednesday bring a close to the first half of Treasures From the ComiCombs in 2016. It’s been a pretty busy first half of the year so this week I wanted to slow things down a bit and give you my top 5 books I have reviewed this year. I thought it would be easy to pick 5 but didn’t realize how many books I’ve reviewed! In no particular order, here are my top 5 reviewed books.


Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano

This story was written very well. Asano killed it with the writing and had some awesome art throughout the book. Each of the panels were carefully thought out and flowed seamlessly. This one deserves a look so check it out if you haven’t already!



Bigfoot by Steve Niles, Rob Zombie and Richard Corben

This one just might be my personal favorite from this list. Steve Niles, the master of the macabre, teams up with Rob Zombie and Richard Corben to bring us this masterpiece. The pacing is perfect, the action is exciting and the art is brutal. Everything works in Bigfoot.



MPD Psycho by Eiji Otsuka and Sho-U Tajima

MPD Psycho has some of the most memorable imagery. This is the second book I have reviewed by Otsuka and easily the better of the two. We just scratched the surface with vol.1 but Otsuka has a very intriguing tale being woven throughout this book. MPD Psycho delivered in just about every category.



Chilling Adventures of Sabrina by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack

This book was a complete surprise and it will make you appreciate the slow burn. There is so much amazing art by Robert Hack throughout this book and the gore is unforgettable. Don’t let the beginning fool you, things get dark fast!



Hellblazer –“Dangerous Habits” by Garth Ennis and William Simpson

Preacher made me a fan of Garth Ennis so it was a great experience to see some of his work before he wrote it. This was by far the heaviest of the books I have reviewed. The writing was so good, I felt some of that desperation and hopelessness bleed out from the pages. When all was said and done, I needed a drink.


There you have it. These are my top 5 books that I have reviewed so far. Since this week is a slow one for releases, pick up any one of these from your local comic shop instead! I hope you enjoyed a bit of a break this week and be sure to come back as we will be back to our normal format next week!


-Creature of the ComiCombs

No comments:

Post a Comment