Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Treasures From The ComiCombs Issue #33: Animosity, Penny Dreadful, Saga


Welcome back to the ComiCombs! August is starting off strong with some great releases. For those of you anxiously awaiting the Suicide Squad movie you can pick up Suicide Squad Rebirth from DC to fill your bellies. If you’re looking for something a bit darker and a lot bloodier, then I have some good picks for you this week so read on!



Animosity #1 (Aftershock)

Marguerite Bennett has written many books for the big two (Marvel, DC) and has written a strong female lead in just about all of them. This new title from Aftershock has me excited. Animosity tells the story of animals evolving and taking revenge on humans while a dog and his girl try to escape New York. I’m really curious to see how the two characters develop alongside each other and what Bennett has in store for us.



Lady Killer 2 #1 (Dark Horse)

The first Lady Killer series received some positive reviews and has been on my radar for some time. Today the second chapter of this bloody series begins. This has been described as something like Mad Men meets Dexter. Are you curious yet?



Penny Dreadful #3 of 5 (Titan Comics)

I’m pretty new to the Penny Dreadful TV show but I am enjoying what I’ve seen. This week the third issue of this mini series brings us the story of how Sir Malcolm and Sembene came to be forever linked. If you’re a fan of the series this is a must read!
-------------------------------------------

I’m always skeptical when someone who doesn’t read comics can’t stop talking about a new series. I’ve got so many books on my pull list and sometimes I just have to pass. I passed on this next title for almost a year until I gave in and it ended up being one of my top monthly pulls. Today I’m talking about Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.



Saga Deluxe Edition HC (Image)

Saga is Sci-Fi/Fantasy at its finest. This book tells the story of Hazel, A child born in wartime to parents who are fighting on opposite sides. You can only imagine the trouble this causes and the events that unfold. Brian K. Vaughan writes one of his best stories within these pages and Fiona staples brings it all to life with her amazing artwork. Volume six was just recently released so if you’re new to this series there’s a whole lot of this awesome book to get lost in. I’m recommending the deluxe hardcover edition because it collects the first three volumes of the series, perfect for those looking to binge!
------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve pulled out two more books from my backlog to go head to head in this week’s duel review. I decided to review a couple Crime/Mystery titles, both from a team of masters in this genre, Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Both have received great reviews so I can’t wait to jump in and see if they are well earned.




The Fade Out Vol. 1 (Image)

“THE FADE OUT is an epic noir set in the world of noir itself, the backlots and bars of Hollywood at the end of its Golden Era. A movie stuck in endless reshoots, a writer damaged from the war and lost in the bottle, a dead movie star and the lookalike hired to replace her. Nothing is what it seems in the place where only lies are true.”



Fatale Vol. 1: Death Chases Me (Image) 

“Secrets, lies, horror, lust and monsters from the time before time all collide in FATALE: DEATH CHASES ME. In present day, a man meets a woman who he becomes instantly obsessed with, and in the 1950s, this same woman destroys the lives of all those who cross her path, on a quest for... what?” 
------------------------------------------

So this week our duel review has two books that sound pretty awesome and I can’t wait to get reading. As always, make sure to pick something up from your local shop! See you all next week with some new picks and the winner of this week’s duel review.


- The Creature of the ComiCombs

No comments:

Post a Comment