Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Overlook Theatre Reviews: The Master Cleanse

of 7 viewers "Liked" "The Master Cleanse" (2016, USA)
Here's what the creatures had to say:

Math Mage - *Spoilers* - "I dread the obligatory "20 minutes with idiots" portion of genre films. It can be done well (Slumber Party Massacre), it can be done poorly (Memorial Valley), it can be done too well (Final Girls), and it can be done very poorly (american Godzilla [either one really]). But, never before have I wanted more of it. This film is short (about 75 minutes) and it could have used another 10-15 minutes of character development. In a film about trying to change yourself through extreme measures it seems strange that we never get to see who any of these people are much less who they want to be. The character who we get the most insight into (notably not the main character), is initially portrayed as being a shallow manipulative person who lies to make herself seem less pathetic, and when we get the reveal of her "real" background...she's a shallow manipulative person who lies to seem less pathetic and craves outside validation. Now that I think about it, this film seems really sexist. Of three female characters one is as close to a villain as we get, another is in an abusive relationship and dies from her boyfriend being a shit-head, and the third (mentioned above) has explicitly been in a number of abusive relationships. Perhaps if we got to spend more time getting to know them (or even better they spent time getting to know each other) we'd have a better movie. I was going to say that the men in the film don't fare much better (as they are universally unlikable) but at least they get screen-time and we are shown aspects of their character rather than told. (Our protagonist hesitates to put a dying rat out of its misery (calling his land-lord(?) for help despite setting the trap it's caught in), but we are simply told about the female lead's problems/motivations)" - 2 Stars

Lord Battle - "While sitting in the dark hidden theater that is the New People Cinema, I became worried that Another Hole in the Head was about to open their film fest with a quirky comedy horror featuring a secondary character from an awful sitcom. Instead I got a cleaver indie drama that manages a to elicit a rainbow of emotions from some of the most effective special effects I've seen all year." - 4 Stars

Clark Little - "Telling someone the plot of The Master Cleanse, would ruin the The Master Cleanse. And as person who holds the smallest amount of responsibility to the public regarding moving pictures, I will play my part. The blend of charm, horror, humor, heartbreak and ambiguity is nothing short of masterful. A fantastic cast led by Johnny Galecki makes this great script become a great movie. I can't say anything more positive about it. I also can't say anything more about it. Just see it.  - 4.5 Stars

KillDozer - "From writer/director Bobby Miller comes a story everyone can relate to. Almost a modern fairy tale weaver, Miller is able to bring the viewer into a situation that no matter how bizarre and impossible somehow feels real. Solid acting from a strong cast including Anjelica Houston, Kevin J. Oconner and Oliver Pratt who's performances are so natural and seamless you will swear you have met them before. Practical creature effects that will make any monster kid smile. Be aware this is not a traditional horror film but one that uses fantasy to help investigate and explore the human condition much like Being John Malcovitch. Well played comedic moments throughout and even a few unexpected shocks. This is not a film that will keep you guessing or send down the rabbit hole. The Master Cleanse is a straight forward film with a simple message that might help some deal with the monster inside each of them. A fun watch that I gladly recommend." - 3.5 Stars (collection worthy)

Trash - "When I was a little demon bitch, I had horrible taste in roughly everything, but especially movies. I watched every piece of garbage with a silly puppet in it I could find, my favorites being the Moonbeam movies, a direct-to-video for-kids spin-off of Charles Band’s Full Moon label. These rotted my brain from the inside. Prehysteria was about some kids who found tiny dinosaurs and hid them from their parents. Pet Shop was about kids who found tiny alien pets and hid them from their parents. Now I'm an adult demon bitch, and The Master Cleanse is an adult movie about adults who make little monsters out of all the shit they've been hiding from themselves. Feeling like a more mature version of this genre that will strike a chord with adults who grew up loving it, if you walk into The Master Cleanse expecting a scary monster movie, you're not gonna get it unless you're really scared of feelings and looking your problems right in the eyes. It's a weirdo heartfelt creature feature about going on a retreat to fix yourself and start anew starring Big Bangin’ Johnny Galecki who is like, just too natural acting alongside puppets. I got really caught up in it. It's simple and small, but sweet and weird, and I spent a lot of time giddy over the tiny monsters. The set is great, feeling like a lighter version of Oliver Reed’s retreat in The Brood. But unlike The Brood, it's more whimsical than horrifying, while still providing a few creepy gross out moments. Even if the metaphor of problems as monsters is a little heavy handed and the ending is a little abrupt, the simplicity is consistent and charming. It’s nice and I like it a lot. I give it 4 stars." - 4 Stars

Huntress - "The world that The Master Cleanse takes place in may look very similar to our own, but something about it seems to welcome the fantasy elements that are integrated into it; they almost didn't feel out of place, considering how quickly the characters accepted them as reality. But that was one of the most enjoyable parts of watching this film, aside from the mind blowing practical effect and in your face, yet still cleaver, analogies." - 4 Stars

Dabbles - "I never thought I would see John Galecki as anything other role than Leonard, but The Master Cleanse totally proved me wrong. The movie hit all the marks when transitioning from comical to serious, and the situation is totally relatable. If you liked The Lobster I strongly suggest you watch this when you get the chance. Also its best to come into this movie with an open mind and totally blind." - 5 Stars





The Overlook Theatre Final Rating*
(Below is for after you've seen the film)


The Master Cleanse isn't just a horror movie, it's a real thing and also goes by another name the Lemonade Diet. Here's what google has to say about it:

The Lemonade Diet, also called the Master Cleanse, is a liquid-only diet consisting of three things: a lemonade-like beverage, salt-water drink, and herbal laxative tea. The claim is simple: Give it 10 days (or more) and you'll drop pounds, "detox" your digestive system, and feel energetic, vital, happy, and healthy.

Actor Josh Brolin and Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder had a chat for the Huffington Post. Part of the conversation happened over the phone and was later posted on Huffingtonpost.com under the header:

 "Eddie Vedder And Josh Brolin Swap Master Cleanse Stories"

And no they aren't talking about the film. Here is what the Huffington Post shared.

EDDIE VEDDER: I just finished touring, and I’m on a detox thing. It’s a heavy detox, so nothing in my belly except water, salt and cayenne pepper. 
JOSH BROLIN: You’re drinking the lemon water and the cayenne and all that?
EV: Yeah, I’m doing the master cleanse, which also means I’m not smoking. I haven’t smoked for four days. This is probably the first phone conversation I’ve had in 10 years where I haven’t had a smoke. It’s like trying to talk without using adverbs.

...
[talk turns to politics and the upcoming election]

EV: Yeah, that’s why I’m detoxing this week. It’s just to set myself up for next month.
JB: Why are you detoxing?EV: Well it was a long couple of years, and being on the road a lot... I’m ready to just clean up my act. I don’t know how it’s all going to come out - this is, like, four days in. In fact, I don’t want to talk about it. But it does feel weird. I’m feeling different.
JB: Are you feeling high yet? I’ve done what you’re doing a few times. After the initial period of feeling like you have the flu come these five or six days of speediness. Obviously, that hasn’t hit you yet.
EV: No. I’m more kind of walking around in a daze, wondering if this is all really happening.
And at the end, during a conversation of how Brolin had to lick Patricia Arquette’s hairy armpit for a scene in “Flirting with Disaster.” (She’d grown it out for her character)

JB: I had to lick her armpit with the hairEV: This is really great for me, man. This is going to keep me from eating for days.JB: It’s the disgusting truth of my profession. Anyway, we saw the footage, and it was disgusting that [the director] David said, ‘We can’t have the hair. Patricia has to shave the hair’.”

- Excerpt from the Huffingtonpost.com

- Lord Battle

The Overlook Theatre materialized at Another Hole in the Head film fest on 10/27/2016
*Based on the star ratings turned in by character reviewers, others viewed and got to "Dislike" or "Like" but that does not effect the rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment